Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Overstimulated.

I haven't been around in a while, and I don't have a good excuse. (Nope, baby's still safely tucked away in my tummy.)

I realized tonight while driving, checking facebook on my phone, listening to the radio, and stuffing my face with Gardettos Honey Mustard and Onion pretzels, that I was bored. Bored! How could I be doing all of these things, and still be bored? My drive home is a mere 30 minutes long on a bad day, and I had even taken a 15min break to do some shopping at Walmart halfway thru. I think I've developed some form of situational adult ADD.

At work, I'm constantly in motion, both mentally and physically. Rush jobs, micromanaging bosses, emails, orders... all day long I'm thinking, blinking, clicking. I get in the car, and I can't just sit in silence. If I don't have someone to call on the way home (either my mom or a friend) I get anxious, and dangerously fool around on my iPhone. I get home, and turn on the TV. Watch the news, checking email or Facebook on my phone during the commercials, get up to make dinner, and then sit back down for the rest of the night, because I'm so mentally wiped. Watching shit TV just to have something to do.

The truth is, I have a million things to do. I could do the dishes, I could take out the garbage, I could play with my dog, I could do some laundry, I could take a bath and read a book, I could work on the family tree for Delaney's room, I could feed the animals... the list goes on and on. And when Trevor is home, I DO do all these things! But when he's gone, I turn into a big couch potato.

I do find it ironic that I'm blogging about an addiction to electronics, but at least I'm not suffering thru a bad Drew Barrymore movie because it's the best thing on.

My BabyCenter email told me to slow down this week, and do less. Enjoy the time. I think my problem is I'm not doing enough of the stuff that will truly satiate me. I need to put the phone away, turn off the TV, turn on some music, and truly do the things that I say I love to do. I mean, when you introduce yourself to someone, you don't say your favorite hobby is watching mindless TV, do you?

Starting tonight. I'll put some comfy clothes on and do the dishes. Then take out the garbage. Then sweep the floor, pull out the sewing machine, and get elastic on that unfinished changing pad cover. I gotta start somewhere, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Somedays I feel I'm talking to myself! Input is appreciated :)